Satellite
  • Day 29

    D29 - TMB Auberge Mont Blanc to Orsieres

    August 2, 2019 in Switzerland ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    TOP 3 Highlights:

    1. Food - Every day food makes some kind of feature in our adventures, and today was no different. On arrival to our highest point of the day at Chalet Bovine, the rain had started falling, and we were greeted with a closed sign. I stood there in disbelief and minutes later a young bloke appeared, removed the sign and we were in store for our well needed hot coffee accompanied by a warming piece of fresh apple pie.
    Once we had reached our little Hotel Terminus in Orsières, we had a late lunch. A chicken burger featuring this tasty Jack Daniel’s sauce, local crispy bacon and hand cut chips. Kate had a Veggie burger which was amped up with shredded seaweed. She insisted that it was the best veggie burger she’d eaten in ages, as weird as it sounded!
    This evenings meal featured a local tasting plate of cured meat accompanied by a salad heirloom tomatoes and burrata. Best to just check the photo for this one.

    2. Misty Mornings - We left with haste this morning, after hearing the news of predicted thunderstorms in the region. Needless to say, after a few hours of hiking upwards and spotting our first views of Martigny down in the valley cast by moody skies, the rain began to fall. Luckily, the thunderstorms never eventuated, and the rain turned the forest a lush glossy green, giving rise to humidity and clouds moving in as thick mist around us. The change in weather provided great contrast to the record breaking heat experienced only a week prior.

    3. Finishing! - Our arrival to Champex Lac late this morning, to the spot next to the lake that we were dropped at just 10 days ago, marks the end of our TMB. While we missed the southern tip of the trail, every day provided new scenery (and plant life!) and views that photos just won’t do justice. We will definitely be back!
    Read more