Satellite
  • Day 17

    This is Norway!!!

    July 20, 2017 in Norway ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Snapshot
    Where - Geirangerfjord
    Weather - PERFECT!!! Not a cloud in the sky - 23°C (although a little chilly to start)
    Steps - 11500 or 7.4km and 32 storeys (& 17km bike ride)

    You know when you see the travel brochures of a destination taken on the very best day of the year.... well, this was it! The most beautiful day in the most beautiful fjord in the world - Geirangerfjord.

    After 2 sea days, we sailed into Geirangerfjord and Brad woke early (5am) to take photos of the waterfalls we would be passing. It was cold at this time of the morning though- about 4°C.

    We had booked a shore excursion - SKY TO FJORD BY BICYCLE - where about 40 fellow passengers donned helmets, bike gloves and hi-viz vests and were bussed up to Djupvasshytte Lodge, about 17km away and 1200m above sea level. There we picked up our bike and rode back - downhill all the way. Great fun and great views...a little hairy at times and I'm glad the brakes worked because the road was steep downhill with hairpin bends (and sharing with usual tourist traffic, buses, cars and motorhomes)

    After our bike ride we took the waterfall walk which consisted of quite a few stairs to get to the top of the falls but it was nice. Probably the best day we have had so far on our trip. I'm sure the photos won't do it justice. I hope the weather continues in Bergen and Flam, our next stops.
    Read more