Satellite
  • Day 18

    Scenic Rail Journey

    July 21, 2017 in Norway ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Snapshot
    Where - Flåm
    Weather - cool and overcast but no rain @ 16°C
    Steps - about 11,500 and 7km

    Flåm is a small township nestled at the end of a fjord and pretty much accessible by boat or train and the tourist choice is to do the Flåm Railway - one of the world's most scenic train journeys (at least that is what it said on the side of the train). The trip is only about 20km, takes an hour and climbs from sea level to almost 1000m through 20 tunnels.

    We stopped near the top to view a waterfall and while there, the Norwegian version of a siren or mermaid called a Hyrude made an appearance in an attempt to lure the men away to join her. Brad took a photo of her and upon close inspection I thought it was a man dressed in drag ( and apparently it was). Next stop was near the top for waffles and jam and cream before heading back to Flåm.

    As it was our last stop in Norway we needed to use up the last of our Norwegian Kroner so bought some small souvenirs - only about 10NOK left or less than $2AU

    On the ship we had booked dinner in the Culinary Arts Centre with a specialised 4 course menu where the food is prepared in front of you. It was excellent - all the dishes has so much flavour- the Masterchef judges would be impressed.

    This ends our Norwegian party of the holiday. We arrive back in Amsterdam on Sunday where we pick up the car and make our way to Berlin.
    Read more