Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 28

    Mt Vesuvius

    May 11, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    We arrived in Naples again, 2nd last day of the cruise. Brad had booked a trek up Mt Vesuvius which all sounded a bit too strenuous to me so I just stayed on the ship, had a leisurely breakfast, finished up a couple of my footprint blogs and went to the port terminal to find WiFi so that I could post them. Naples is not a city I cared to walk about on my own so I was happy to have a bit of a day off from touring.

    Brad said the walk up Mt Vesuvius wasn't too bad...a little steep in parts and you got to look down into the crater. Steam was coming out of fissures but no eruptions (thankfully). He said there were people selling pieces of lava which was a little strange because you only had to bend down and pick up pieces. They may have been carved into a shape or something but I don't know why you would buy it.

    Back on the ship it was packing our bags for disembarking and we even went to afternoon tea - very civilised with little sandwiches, cakes and scones with jam and cream. Not sure why we had not gone to this before as it was served every afternoon. For the last week or so we had been going to trivia with Bert and Margaret, a retired couple from Northern Ireland - Bert was very funny, always had a joke to tell. They were very clever and we won a majority of the time much to the disgust of the other teams. We were asked by a couple of other teams if we were continuing on the cruise but we were all leaving so now they are happy because they think they have a chance.

    As usual, it has been a good cruise and the longest one we have done (2 back to back cruises of 12 days each). The ship is one of the older ones in the fleet and is looking a little tired but we were happy with our room.
    Read more