Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 79

    Dijon, France

    October 23, 2023 in France ⋅ ⛅ 68 °F

    What we did:
    - Got up early to get on the road for a quick stop in Dijon on our way to Paris! Stopped at Chateau Marsannay for our last wine tasting in Burgundy! Stopped at a Boulangerie on the way to get some croissants and coffee for breakfast. Boulangerie rock. Every item we have had at a Boulangerie has been so fresh and mouthwateringly good and always costs us less than 5 euro. America, what are we doing wrong here!?
    - Chateau Marsannay was another huge estate that produces many wines. We had a private tour with one of the wine makers - definitely our favorite tour! She was very knowledgeable and clarified a lot of questions for us. She also had us try SEVEN wines (don’t worry our trusty driver Trent poured half his tastings out). All incredibly delicious!
    - We drove into Dijon and walked around for a bit before realizing we were going to miss lunch because everything was shutting down for the afternoon. Found a quick wok place to grab carry out and set on a bench in the square to people watch and admire the French architecture.
    - We then stopped in a mustard store because…dijon mustard duh. Tried a bunch of original as well as more creative dijon mustards like truffle and bourbon flavors. We then looked to driving to Paris and what was originally only supposed to be a 2.5 hour drive looked to be about 4 hours, putting us in Paris at night in insane traffic. So we pulled an audible and dropped off the rental car and hopped on a train to Paris with 10 minutes to spare! Definitely the right plan because it only took us 1.5 hours to get to the city of lights!
    - It was pouring rain when we got into the train station so we took a cab to the hotel before heading out to dinner for some Ramen on a cold rainy night!

    What we ate:
    - Croissants and coffee at a French Boulangerie.
    - Fried rice and noodle bowls at Aida Healthy Noodle in Dijon.

    Fun facts:
    - The Grand Cru wines are from plots of land with soil that is very mineral heavy and rocky where the roots don’t grow very deep. They say it’s because these plants have to be incredibly strong to thrive in rocky soils that they produce the best grapes, and therefore the best wine!
    - Wine tourism isn’t a huge “thing” in Burgundy in the sense that you can book an on-site winery tour and tasting at the vineyard. In Napa you can do this at most wineries, in Burgundy and Beaujolais they are few and far between. Most of the small towns will have tasting rooms where you can taste wines from the different local vineyards instead of going onsite for tours/tastings.
    Read more