Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Bago State Forest

    September 21, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    Bago State Forest is on the less accessible side of the Blowering Dam (We only realised after that it was 4WD only) and the weather was not on our side. After checking out the first few campgrounds, we decided they were spot too windy and decided to look further into the forest. On the way (against Lara's warnings and against the advice of a local from Tumut fishing and camping shop: "stay away from the “nice green patches” known as ‘wet spots’ by the lake as you will get bogged up to your axel") Robin decided to drive straight on to a ‘nice green patch’ of grass and instantly the car instantly sunk inches into the ground...

    After a solid hour of digging, flattening the tyres, placing recovery tracks and getting muddy. With Lara behind the wheel and Robin pushing the car, we managed to get it out of car cemetery. Victory.

    After a little celebration, We we’re back on the road and followed foreshore drive, that winded around the lake. A large storm had hit us, with hail and heavy rain.. we drove for another half an hour on a quite difficult road and finally found a perfectly sheltered and secluded campsite right by the lake, just as the sun came out too :)

    We tried fishing in late afternoon and all day the next day from sunrise without any luck even though fish was jumping all around us (probably teasing us)...

    The Blowering dam seemed like the perfect place to catch fish but was being difficult to us...
    Read more