Satellite
  • Day 17

    Mudgee

    September 25, 2020 in Australia ⋅ 🌧 12 °C

    The massive storm front was still upon us when we reached Mudgee, a region known for its good wine... so we stopped at Blacklea winery and were ‘welcomed’ by an old grumpy owner who was tired of answering questions and was hovering over the bar making us very uncomfortable, so we left his establishment in a rush! Unfortunately we were not in better luck with the next two wineries we had planned to go as they were booked out.

    We headed to Mudgee town as a massive storm was looming upon us, so we went on a pub crawl at: Mudgee brewery (grear red ale, which we got a travel size Growler, known as squiller), Woolpack hotel (nice live music), paragon hotel (cheap pizzas, average), We ended up sleeping in the parking lot in the middle of the town)...

    Next morning, although 4°, the sun was out and we got better luck with the places we visited:
    1. Gulgong old mining town (average - too many cars to get a good pic of the old buildings)
    2. Bakery - Mudgee Bakery - average and commercialised. Looks like they extended the cafe and lost its charm)
    3. Cheesery - Mudgee Cheesery yum yum
    4. Honeyree - Honey Haven Mudgee - no need to stop there just drive past, but they did a nice coffee
    5. Winery - Thistle Hill - Bought 12 bottles of 2016 shiraz at Thistle Hill Winery (We still haven't figured out where to put all this wine in the van...)
    6. Walk to The Drip Gorge (also know as the great dripping wall) in the Goulburn River National Park

    All in all we weren’t prepared for a weekend in Mudgee - everything booked out - so lesson learned to be more prepared !!
    Read more