Satellite
  • Day 192

    Day 3 - Fraser Island

    October 11, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    We woke after another pretty late night filled with the remains of the goon but with less of a sore head. The same can't be said for the rest of our car as we had to wake them up after we'd finished our breakfast.

    Once the camp was tidied and the cars packed we were back on the road (aka the beach) to our last spot before the trip was over. Nobody wanted / was legal to drive but because Blake did a sneaky pass out earlier on she took the first driving shift. Unfortunately due to the tide times we were limited on lakes to visit so today's Lake Wabby would be a 40 minute walk inland from where we parked up. After a long walk which seemed to never end and bumping into Sefi and Sara again walking the other way we made it to the top of the sand dune which was about 100 meters down to the edge of the lake. Lake Wabby is home to over 12 different species of animal including giant cat fish which people often mistake for sharks.

    We spent around 45 minutes swimming around and watching the various fish swim past. This also included the pedicure fish which eat all the dead skin from your feet. We then had to face the long journey back up the sand dune and back to the cars for beef and salad wraps on the beach. Once lunch was demolished we hopped back in the cars to catch the ferry back to Rainbow Beach. On the way back there were a few little creeks that we had to drive through which were meant to be taken slowly. The car behind us however decided to ignore that rule and drive through them at speed in attempt to get his fellow passengers wet. Brendo doesn't miss a trick though and gave them a stern talking too over the radio as that's how you flood the radiator. Approximately 5 minutes later, they were on the radio telling everyone that their car was overheating. OOOPS!

    We all pulled over for some beach time whilst Brendo looked over the car. With an expected busted radiator we weren't going anywhere fast. They decided to let it cool down and give it another blast. It wasn't long until it over heated again though so we stopped again, popped the bonnet and tried again. About 5 stops later we managed to get to the ferry around 15 minutes late. Luckily they waited for us and it was back to the mainland.

    Once back at the hostel we all started to feel pretty broken again. We checked in, took all of our washing to the laundry, attempted to shower all the sand off finally and then had some down time. For dinner we had a final supper with the team in the form of 2-4-1 pizzas at a local pub. We then waved the boys off before heading for free beers for completing the trip. All in all the Fraser Island tour has been by far our favourite and the group was the icing on the cake!
    Read more