Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 191

    Day 2 - Fraser Island

    October 10, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    There were a lot of sore heads this morning so Brendo lined up the perfect hangover cure, Eli Creek. It's another pure freshwater creek which flows into the sea but also doubles up as a lazy river. It sits at around 18 degrees so it's very refreshing and helps wake you up. Brendo even had a few rubber rings for us to float on.

    After Eli Creek we pulled up next to the SS Maheno, a cruise liner that was washed ashore by a cyclone in 1935. In it's prime the ship would have rivalled the Titanic however all that remains now is a disintegrating wreck. When the owners of the ship realised that there was no getting the ship off the island they sold everything on it, including a grand piano. There are a few permanent residents on the island and many of them have art and other pieces that they purchased from the wreckage.

    After some picture time, we stopped at a picnic spot for some beef wraps before heading up the beach to the Champagne Pools. To allow for everyone to get an opportunity to drive if they want to, the people in with Brendo swap out with the other cars. This afternoon it was our cars turn to hop in the lead car.

    The Champagne Pools are 2 giant rock pools that get their name from when the waves crash over the rocks and resemble the bubbles in a Champagne glass. They were a little chilly though so I didn't last long in there before I decided to lounge on the beach instead.

    After the pools, we went for a little walk up to a lookout where you could see down along the island and out to sea. From the Lookout we spotted quite a few turtles and some humpback whales which was pretty amazing.

    It was then back to camp for dinner and goon. On the menu this evening was steak, potatoes and salad which was delicious. Brendo also made a camp fire and we all had a bit of a sing song before toasting some marshmallows. The camp comes complete with its own nightclub, Winky's. It's the only nightclub where there isn't a dress code, you don't need ID and there is no entry fee. It was pretty much a gazebo / village hall with some speakers and a mirror ball in the middle. After the camp fire we headed there for a quick boogie before I sneaked off to bed.
    Read more