Satellite
  • Day 219

    Day 2 - Auntie Tricia and Shane's

    November 7, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    When we went to bed last night there was a BIG storm rolling in. We lay in bed listening to the thunder and watched the lightening light up the bedroom. More storms are forecast for today however the sun was shining in the morning so we took a chance and drove out to O'Reilly's which is situated in Lamington National Park. It's only around 30kms from Tricia's to O'Reilly's however it took us an hour to get there as it's a very narrow and windy road up the mountain.

    When we reached the top, we parked up and walked through the rainforest and along a wobbly treetop walk which was really good. At one point you could climb a couple of ladders up into the trees and look out over the top which was pretty amazing. Simon and Tricia didn't fancy that bit though and stayed at the bottom and took photos whilst I climbed my way to the top! After the walk we headed over to the cafe and enjoyed a cup of coffee and a cake on the veranda overlooking the most incredible view.

    The gift shop next to the cafe sells food so that you can feed the local parrots so after we had finished our smoko, we grabbed some parrot food and headed outside to give the parrots theirs. No sooner as we had walked up to the area with all the parrots, we were surrounded. The seed was in a big silver tray but the parrots also landed on your head, arms and shoulders! There were loads of them! There were a couple of different types of parrot, the red and green ones are called King Parrots and the red and blue ones are called Rosellas. They were really pretty and really friendly. They obviously get fed a lot. After feeding the parrots we headed back home. We managed to time our trip perfectly as not long after we arrived home, the heavens opened and another storm rolled in. We therefore had a nice quiet afternoon and Tricia made us sausage, egg, chips and baked beans for dinner.
    Read more