Satellite
  • Day 234

    Port Macquarie

    November 22, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    Before Ruth and Michael checked out, they kindly gave us a couple of 2 for 1 vouchers for the Hydro Golf which they had played and said was really fun. They also gave us their Victoria and Melbourne Lonely Planet as they didn't need it any more which was really nice and will help us plan a potential road trip along the Great Ocean Road.

    Fancying a change from walking and beaches we decided to check out the Hydro Golf. The buses here aren't very frequent however so we had over an hour to wait for the bus. As we had some time to kill we walked across the road to Harry's Lookout which boasts incredible views out over the sea. We then walked down to Shelley Beach and across a small section of the coastal path before heading back to the bus stop.

    It was a bit of a mission to get to the Hydro Golf. We had to get a bus and then walk for 25 minutes the other end but it was definitely worth it. It was run by a very friendly man from Brighton who has now been living in Australia for 25 years. The Hydro Golf is essentially a driving range however you have to try and hit the ball into tiny nets. Depending on which net you got the ball in determined what prize you got. There was a variety of prizes on offer including a dominos pizza, $65 jackpot and a harbour cruise. 4 buckets of balls later, we both left empty handed. It was pretty much impossible to hit the nets, especially for me who can't even play crazy golf. I did however manage to hit the side of the frame holding the net much to Simon's dismay. Fortunately for him, he managed to do the same with one of his last few balls, otherwise I would have been better than him!

    After the Golf, we popped into Aldi to grab some bits for dinner, before heading back to our Airbnb. After dinner we raided Natalia's DVD collection and watched Dead Poets Society starring Robin Williams. Neither of us had watched it before but it was really good.
    Read more