Satellite
  • Day 236

    Sydney

    November 24, 2017 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 20 °C

    The original plan was to head to Newcastle after Port Macquarie however we couldn't find anywhere to stay so we headed straight down to Sydney instead. It turns out the reason for this is because there is a big rally car racing event going on this weekend. The Greyhound bus times out of Port Macquarie are really pants so the alarm went off at 3:15am in order for us to catch the 5am bus. It's around 5 and a half hours to Sydney but both of us dozed most of the way so it didn't feel that long. As we drove into Sydney, we caught our first glimpse of the Opera House which was pretty cool.

    The Greyhound dropped us off at the central station so we grabbed ourselves some Opal cards (Sydneys equivalent of the Oyster card) and jumped on a bus back over the Harbour Bridge to the North of Sydney where our Airbnb is. We are staying with a lovely couple called Dennis and Diana. Dennis is from Germany and Diana is from Argentina.

    Despite it it only being midday, we had already been up for 9 hours and the hanger was setting in, so we walked to Woolworths to grab some bits for lunch. I then lay down for a power nap and before I knew it, it was 2:40pm. Not wanting to waste the day, we headed to Chinaman's Beach which Dennis recommended, to catch the last of the sun. It's a cute little beach, away from the hustle and bustle of tourists however due to the wind, we had a repeat of our Byron Bay experience. After 5 minutes and everything being completely covered in sand, we gave up on the beach and decided to lie down in a grassy park just behind the beach instead.

    After 2 nights of burgers, I fancied something a bit healthier for dinner so I cooked up some wholesome fish and vegetables which was really nice. We then sat out in the garden with Diana, Dennis and Dennis' cousin Kim.
    Read more