Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 237

    Day 2 - Sydney

    November 25, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    One of my camp friends, Kev invited us to a garden party in the city which one of his friends was dj'ing at. We weren't meeting him till 3pm so we had a very chilled morning. Whilst we were in Argentina, we didn't get round to trying mate (pronounced mat-a) a traditional Argentinian drink similar to green tea. Diana and Dennis therefore made us some to try. Mate is a huge part of Argentinian culture and is a very sociable drink. Diana prepared the mate and then passed it around to each of us in turn to drink it. Mate is renowned for being very bitter and an acquired taste so I wasn't sure that I was going to enjoy it. I was however pleasantly surprised. Apparently this type of mate is a much softer version and it wasn't too dissimilar to green tea.

    The garden party was in an area of Sydney called Newtown which seems really cool. We passed by lots of vintage type shops on the bus so we will have to come back to explore when we are in Sydney next time. The garden party was house music which I wouldn't usually choose to listen to however the sun was shining and we were on a garden terrace so it was pretty nice. A couple of the guys from our Fraser Island tour were in Sydney so they came too which was fun. The party finished around 9pm and by this point we were pretty hungry so we went in search of something to eat. We ended up in a Thai restaurant which was absolutely delicious and pretty cheap too which is always good! After food we bid farewell to Kev and the Fraser Island crew and made the hour long journey back to our Airbnb.
    Read more