Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Notre-Dame-de-Cenilly

    August 6, 2023 in France ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    It was sunny at last so we not only could we get washing dry, but also go for a proper walk, 12 km in all.

    Using one of the maps we got from the VIC in Coutances on Friday, we first drove to Notre-Dame-de-Cenilly, found the starting point easily and started walking. Some was on small roads but most was in the countryside. After the rain it was pretty muddy in places so thank goodness for good walking boots! At one point, we had to duck under an electric fence (and back again) to get around a flooded path.

    The paths are not as well marked, defined or maintained as in the UK but we managed to not get lost and eventually worked out the system of indicating walkways, which is not very efficient, to say the least!

    After our walk we made a short road trip to some of the villages around us, also to St Lo, which is a fairly large town about 30 km away. We found a patisserie and small grocery shop for the necessary purchases: baguette, patisseries, veg and wine.

    We have been reminded that even large supermarkets do not open on Sunday afternoon, and many shops close for two hours in the middle of the day, and on Mondays.
    Read more