衛星
マップで表示する
  • 日27

    Crinan Canal

    2023年4月29日, スコットランド ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    Woke up in Aaron, with a nagging feeling that going round the Mull was going to be a bit of a pain. Completely spontaneously a plan was hatched to take the boat through the Crinan Canal. With absolutely no plan of what how or who, we retraced our step up loch Fyne past Tarbet and on towards the entrance of the canal. During the sail I was downloading apps and doing my best to book a time and birth to transit the canal, that day. I thought I had succeeded.
    On arrival at the sea Lock there was a boat called Samba waiting there turn to enter the loch. We had had instruction from the lock keeper to come straight in so we were looking like we were jumping the queue. Samba sprang to life and managed to pull out in front of us. In the spirit of fair play we hit the breaks and let them in ahead of us. Little did we all know at the time what a fateful move this would be.
    Fenders out ropes at the ready we slid into the first lock behind samba. No I hadn’t read the skippers instructions for the canal, so had absolutely no idea about how it all worked. The canal had a maximum draft recommendation of 2.5 metres. Which the loch ladies suggested was hopeful. I decided to lift some keel to be on the safe side.
    Some nice ladies at the top of the 20 ft lock wall offered to take out lines and began to offer advice which was good. A third lady came out of the office as our boat rose to the top of the first lock and suggested I came in and sorted out the paperwork mess I had created with my last minute app booking. As it turned out I had booked and paid twice for the transit. I hadn’t booked a spot to moore up as we would make it all the way through that day. In a kind Scottish voice she said, don’t worry happens all the time ill get it all changed now and the refund will get processed in the week. Perfect. I said. Her last comments were based on Mark and I not looking like the most nimble of old blokes with a big boat. “You should make friend with guys on the other boat as you will need a hand with all the locks and rope handling and you will be travelling together to save water in the system. Mark and I went straight outside and started making conversation.
    Samba belongs to Mike and Sarah (brother and sister) although I spoke to them as if they were an item for the first day. And they had there friend James and Lizzie sailing with them. Sarah and Lizzie helped us through every Lock taking lines and always with a bit of banter. They rapidly became known “Lock Maidens” we had had a night out all together halfway through the canal, and a firm friendship was formed.
    Day 2 of the canal we up early for showers and the Maidens were ready to go bright and early. Light drizzles was the order of the day. And only 8 Lochs left to be freed back into the sea. We were all dripping wet but it was fun every stop. After a quick beer on the grass while Mike changed his Impeller, we were ready for the final Lock and some sailing freedom.
    もっと詳しく