Satellite
  • Day 13

    Suva, Fiji

    May 1, 2016 in Fiji ⋅ 🌧 24 °C

    Apparently three crew members where mugged last night; the stories vary from right by the ship, to in the town.
    Some reports say one crew member was bitten, others say at knife point.
    Problem is this put a lot of people off going on private trips or going for walks in and around the town.
    My thinking is that this kind of thing can happen anywhere in the world, even in your own home town.
    Again in my personal opinion, you are safe in most places that the cruise lines take you to, if you use common sense.
    I'm probably tempting fate by saying this, but I've never had any problems when I've been walking around off the ship, but as I say I use common sense, and always try to look confident when walking.
    Muggers etc only want an easy target, someone who looks nervous and has their valuables on show. They don't want anyone who looks like they may resist and put up some sort of a fight.
    So when I go out I don't carry any valuables or much money, and I walk as if I know the place, I do what our Alan calls the Kirkby walk, and stride along confidently, even if I've got no idea where I am.

    ( for those who don't know, Kirkby is the rough council estate I grew up on )
    Read more