Satellite
  • Day 26

    Holy Family Rosary Church & Canada Place

    October 15, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Mom and I woke up early today and had a morning photo walk for the nearby autumn foliage surrounding our AirBnB host's neighbourhood. Finally our autumn morning walk dream came to fruition! We then checked out a Café close by called "The Wild Oak" and bought some breakfast wraps (Turkey sausage with cheddar cheese and eggs) and some almond croissants for my still sleeping sister and dad.

    We then tried to attend the nearby 11am mass at St Patrick's Church but we did not make it so instead we went to the 1230 mass downtown, in Holy Rosary Metropolitan Cathedral. They had some interesting stained glass walls, and outside the main doorway was a 'homeless Jesus' sculpture.

    We then went to Canada Place, albeit a detour to BC place when our navigation skills momentarily failed us. And there we savoured the view of the Vancouver harbour, the Stanley Park, North Vancouver and mountains beyond looking back at us. To further describe the scene, there were some clouds around and pencil strewn sun beams scattered across the verdant, tall mounds that made the interplay of shadows and lights even more interesting. The entire scene reminded us of the views omniscient in Cebu. Also there were plenty of seaplanes hovering the area, and it was interesting to watch how they navigate the Vancouver harbour while they set themselves up for flying and landing.

    My sister took us to the Vancouver Convention centre for a late lunch at DeDutch Pancakes. We got to it just a little less than an hour before they closed up for the day. They served delicious, thin pancakes, perfect for both savoury and sweet variations. We then languidly made our way across Coal Harbour towards Westin Bay shore. We took advantage of the pleasant, rain-free afternoon and the burgeoning autumn foliage by snapping plenty of photos. We saw all sorts of people enjoying the weather: there were some health enthusiasts, tourists from all over the world, and some local pedestrians.

    We then took a cab back to our accommodation, and had a walk around Cambie St, where we ended up having dinner in Soho, a Japanese and Asian cuisine restaurant. I ordered a hot pot soup that I struggled to finish as it was indeed very hot and the serving was more than ample.

    Back at Amir and Mary Anne's place, we enjoyed the Drew Barrymore, Adam Sandler movie "Blended" before turning in for the night for an early start tomorrow.
    Read more