Satellite
  • Day 25

    Ragusa Ibla & Villa Romana del Casale

    November 2, 2021 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Today's travel was broken into 3 drives, the first stop being a visit to Ragusa Ibla, a UNESCO World Heritage Site for more Sicilian Baroque architecture. We started in the upper town and then walked towards the old town. There's a lot of churches to see, so if that's your thing, you should be in for a treat. Otherwise, there's not too much to see otherwise, so we grabbed a simple lunch and wine flavored gelato. I was initially going to decline but saw that one of the two flavors was moscato, which incidentally is one of the few wines I do like. The first bite was an explosion of flavor and just "wow" came out. I'm not quite sure if it was a "wow, this is strong" or "wow, this is amazing", but if it started out strong, I must've gotten used to the taste as I'm sure the flavor wouldn't diminish over the course of a cup.

    Stop #2 was the Villa Romana del Casale to check out some mosaics preserved in their original location, It's a good stroll around, but lacked a wow factor for me as it reminded me of what I've seen before in Cyprus.

    One more drive, this time we're headed to Agrigento our stop for the night. Along the way, we were treated to a view of Mt Etna in the distance. Finally on this trip, we managed to see it. Unfortunately since we were so far away, pictures aren't great, but it gives great perspective to the height of the volcano since we could still it.

    Towards the end of the drive, we were treated to a nice long sunset as we were literally driving into the sunset. It was like the entire horizon was orange, and just stayed that way. The Sicilian countryside we passed was beautiful as well, so I think my favorite part of the day was just driving along (even though I slept a good portion of it ;). )
    Read more