Satellite
  • Day 5

    On to the Romantische Strasse

    June 2, 2017 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Yesterday we got a train from Nuremberg to Donauworth and joined one of the main bike tourist trails, the Romantische Strasse. Our first night on the trail was to Nordlingen. An amazing little town that still has a complete town wall, inside the wall is the old town, with some tiny houses built into the wall. It's all cobble stones and historic building and quaint little squares. Then as soon as you go outside the wall, regular suburbia, the first thing I noticed as we rode out this morning was Macca's. Riding along the Romantische Strasse is superb, classic little villages, rolling green hills and farm land. The path is a mixture of back roads, occasionally dirt farm tracks and paved bike paths through the fields. Tonight we're in Feuchtwangen, hoping there aren't too many church bells here. Last night there were 2 sets of church bells and a cuckoo clock, no need for an alarm clock in this part of the world.
    The aerial photo is of Nordlingen, front cover of a brochure, then our guest house in Nordlingen. Tonight Jan needed the help of a very large beer to work out what was on the menu. The "totem" poles are in the centre of some of the small villages we pass through. We haven't found out what they are yet but we'll work it out.
    Weather forecast for tomorrow is not good, thunder storms so we better get on the road early.
    Read more