Satellite
  • Day 93

    Day 28: Last Day

    October 16, 2016 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 57 °F

    I didn't sleep well last night and was up before dawn. I had a cup of coffee ready to watch the sun peak over the mountains; turning the morning beautiful shades of pink and orange. I don't know why I haven't watched a sunrise yet, but I'm glad I got one in.

    Shortly into my ride I came across Walker Lake, a picturesque, emerald oasis in the middle of the desert. Close to 20 miles of my ride today was going around this lake.

    I stopped at Twenty Mile Beach to get some time in by the water, but the shore turned into what could easily have been quicksand. As I was leaving the beach i found a danger sign that had fallen from its post. It was supposed to have told me that I shouldn't have walked along that shore because there were "unexploded munitions". Nice.

    When I got on the other side of the lake, the winds started again. The last 10 miles into Hawthorne were arduous.

    I also started going through military territory. Constant signs telling me danger keep out, this lands belongs to the army. This really creeps me out. Maybe it's because I'm in UFO country :)

    Yes, I have a very overactive imagination.

    Just a few days short of a month, and a few miles shy of 1,000, this amazing trip must come to an end. My daughter and Grandson are coming home! Hillary left Portland today, she's picking me up tomorrow, and we'll finish this trip together( in a car).

    This was the adventure of a lifetime. I am so thankful for the experience. It has been rewarding in ways I never could have imagined. I have met so many wonderful people, and seen much beauty. I feel much more confident in the person that I am and the things that I can accomplish.

    However, I can't wait to pick up where I left off. Not alone, but with my partner in life.
    Read more