Satellite
  • Day 35

    Thanh An Hostel, Hue, Day 3

    September 23, 2017 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    An early night felt very good, and as it gets to around 8 in the morning we are up and ready to go. Our first stop is the Imperial City, and what a place it is. The residence of many of the former emperors is a vast, beautiful small holding contains numerous building of many different sizes and shapes. As soon as you enter you realise you are in for a good time, as the huge, patterned gates loom over you. Huge fish swim in the lakes on either side of you as you wander across bridges and throwing food at them is a great way to see them going crazy. We spend three hours walking around the city, as it is so big, and there is so many things that catch your attention. Whether it's temples, bridges, gardens, lakes, it truly is beautiful. It is hard to put it into your head that these historical figures used to live here and sit in the thrones that stand golden and grand in some of the rooms. A great way to understand and appreciate the history of this place.
    Our next stop is Thien Mu Pagoda, and we decide (after some bartering) to jump on a cyclo (if that's what it's called). Our guide, who is called Hue, is good to talk to as he pedals away, pointing out the many temples on the way. It's a lovely ride down the river, and the destination is just as good. The Pagoda stands seven stories high and is surrounded by temples and statues of what we think are warriors. There's also a car that was driven by a monk before he sacrificed himself by setting himself on fire. It only takes around ten minutes to look around, but it's a great place to see.
    Hue then cycles us back to the market, which is a bit too mental for us. It's very cramped full of stalls selling all kinds of things. We wander around for around half an hour but soon get fed up of being dragged into stalls and pestered.
    On the walk back we feel our legs begin to tire, and are very pleased when we return to the room. I finally get to watch some Premiership tonight, and hopefully we'll feel well enough to have a few beers, unlike yesterday!
    Read more