Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    Thanh An Hostel, Hue, Day 4

    September 24, 2017 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    Today we set off in search of the mysterious abandoned water park that has been recommended to us. We have a slow morning after again having a few too many beers last night. We finally got to taste some mojitos though which was good. In our attempt to catch a rock show, we failed, only catching the final song (a Vietnamese cover of Cocaine by Eric Clapton). It was annoying, but we were given free beers because they felt bad for us, so that certainly softened the blow.
    We got a taxi to the water park and we were glad we did. The 7km walk we were promised seemed much longer. As you walk onto the park a giant dragon looms over you. It's an eerie place as you walk around past the broken aquarium with all the smashed tanks and look at the walls that are covered in figures of fish and waves that have now faded with time and been covered with graffiti. The story is that the park was built in 2004, but was opened too early and made no money. It was then just given up on and left to rot. There is another story that the crocodiles that were bought for show were just left. We are told they have all been round up and collected, but still don't like walking too near to the lake.
    After the impressive dragon, you walk past abandoned cottages that have mostly fallen down, leaving just a frame. We then look at the three slides that now lead to a dirty looking pool. Finally, a theatre area which was designed for shows, but is now just a stage and some worn looking chairs. It's an odd, eerie place.
    As we have done a few times in Vietnam, we decide we can walk to the tomb of Ming Mang after the waterpark. Our taxi driver offered to wait at the park, but we declined, and we feel pretty stupid for a while until a woman pulls over and offers us a ride. We get a good price, and sit three on one moped on the journey to tomb. Roy, the moped rider, then agrees to wait for us and drive us to the city as we walk around the impressive tomb.
    Much like the citadel, the architecture and sculptures that you walk underneath and around are really beautiful. The fact these places are built as a tribute to past emperors really puts into perspective how much they are adored. They are amazing to see. It takes us around half an hour to travel the full length and it is well worth the 100,000 dong entrance fee.
    we have a quiet night after that, eating at Nooks cafe which was delicious and resting up, ready for our final day in Hue tomorrow.
    Read more