Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Hong Kong 3

    June 19, 2018 in Hong Kong ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    We started today with another great breakfast with our favorite grumpy, impatient waitresses. After breakfast we decided to take a high speed ferry to Macau, the so-called Monte Carlo of the Orient. Not to gamble, as we don’t, but to wander aimlessly, sweat profusely, and eventually turn on each other over said aimless wandering. We learned that when it is in the 30’s, and the humidity is hovering around 90%, you don’t just head out for a stroll to nowhere in particular. We also learned that besides casinos, Macau seems to be some sort of banking center (hmmm......), has a hell of a lot of stores selling fresh jerky and egg tarts, and way too many stores selling durian in various forms. Walking past those stores is an affront to your olfactory senses.

    The ferries zip along at 80 km/h in calm or rough water. In fact I think the rougher the water, the faster they go. The seats have seatbelts and are highly recommended. It was kind of like flying through heavy turbulence. Walking around is not an option. After leaving Macau, all hot, sweaty and pissed off with each other, we arrived back in Hong Kong all hot, sweaty, pissed off, and hungry. So we did the unforgivable and ate at the first place we saw - McDonalds. I hope the food Gods will forgive us for that one. And that's all I've got to say about that. Tomorrow we jet off to Hanoi.
    Read more