Satellite
  • Day 16

    Information Seeking and Fish Markets

    January 2, 2018 in Norway ⋅ ⛅ 2 °C

    Today was a lazy day we actually slept in to 9.45am, so we had a quick dash to breakfast as it closed at 10am. We then went for a walk to the information centre to work out our plans for the next few days.

    Under the visitor information centre was a very small fish market which had some nice size lobster, crabs and some very ugly fish. The Fish Market in Bergen has existed since the 1200s and has since then been one of the most important places for trade between fishermen, farmers and people of the city. In addition to the merchants on land there were also historically sales from boats along the quay. Fishermen who lived outside the city used to row in to the Fish Market to sell their catch of the day before rowing back home the same day.

    Bergen is a small town and appears most activities close down over winter, which is a shame as some of the tours seemed quite good. With all our information brochures in hand, a warm place to read and have a drink was next on the list.

    Afterwards we came back to our room and John researched the sightseeing options and I read for a while. After about an hour or so we went out for another walk through the old town which is only a few blocks from us.
    Read more