Satellite
Show on map
  • The Acropolis

    July 3, 2022 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    Went to where the first Olympics were held and went up to the Acropolis where the Athena Parthenon and other temples are. Including:

    Temple of Athena Nike: portrayed as a woman with wings on her back. Goddess of victory.

    Temple of Haphaestus: The god of metal and weapons. Also part of the Entrance to the Acropolis

    Only a third of the Agora has been exposed. The Agora was the place to buy all necessities.

    Athena Parthenon: it was built as an optical illusion. Made to trick the eye of the worshipper to think that the lines were straight, horizontal or vertical line. The imperfections were made to make the Parthenon look perfect from a distance. All of the columns are slanted and the lines on the columns are curved. Phillius created the statue of Athena. She stood taller than the statue of Zeus. Made with a wooden core with an ivory outer shell. The shield and sword were made of gold. She held a statue of Nike the size of a human. All the sculptures were removed to help preserve the temple. Currently they are trying to fix the problems that past archeologists made. They used to fix the broken columns with concrete and iron which is ruining the marble. They are now making the fixations with titanium. It took 6 years to build the Parthenon. There are 3 rooms, one was a bank, the middle held the statue of Athena, and the other was to worship.

    Erechtheion: named after a mythical king of Athens Aretheus. Built for Athena and Poseidon. They are always fighting over who to name the city after. Zeus said to give the city a gift. Poseidon split a rock and gave them the sea which they already had. Athena gave them the olive tree so they named the city Athens after her. Poseidon was mad so they built him a sculpture of him and Athena in the Aretheon. The Cariatits were the first sculptural decoration instead of a sculpture.

    Once Greek religion stopped the temples became churches.

    We also ate Souflaki, took a few photoshoots, and went to the Acropolis Museum.
    Read more