Satellite
  • Day 4

    from Khama to Meno a Kwena

    July 9, 2017 in Botswana ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Today we left Khama and travelled to Meno a Kwena camp. Stephan told us he had pumped up one tyre last night and we noticed it was looking flat again. He will get it looked at in Maun. The main highways are quite good - some pot holes but nothing worse than Victorian roads. We whizzed along at 130 - 140km/h - there does not appear to be anyone patrolling. The main thing that slowed our journey were the domesticated animals - goats, cows, donkeys, horses. They are used to the traffic and mostly don't move but there was the occasional beast that was laconically wandering across. Livestock are a prized possession here in Botswana. Most people own some and are always trying to buy more to add to their herd. Even people who live in the city have cattle/ livestock at their country place that someone cares for. For example, one of the Batswanan workers at our hotel has 2 cows that his grandparents care for. On his days off he often goes to stay with them and to care for his cows. I asked him what a cow was worth - 1,500 pula which is about $188 Australian. Cows and livestock are also an important part of the dowry system.
    There are many round houses with grass tops. Sometimes a yard would consist of a more solid square house made out of cement blocks and then a number of these round houses. In the more remote parts there is no electricity but in and near the towns there is often electricity and a satellite dish.
    Read more