Satellite
  • Day 11

    Livingston Falls

    July 16, 2017 in Zambia ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    We all convened for lunch in the restaurant beside the river at our hotel. Just typing that after writing about the poverty in the village induces guilt...
    Kevin, Tony and Geoff had spent the morning on the Zambezi fishing for Tiger Fish. There were plenty of bites but only Kevin caught one. They enthusiastically related a tale of fish vs man that could have been straight out of Hemingway's "The Old Man and the Sea". Once Kevin had hooked the fish, there was sweat, there was swearing, there was the straining of muscles, which eventually resulted in the successful landing of what looked a bit like an over sized piranha - big sharp teeth that matched the fight the fish had put up. Certain varieties of Tiger Fish can jump out of the water and catch small birds, such is their ferocity.
    Myf, Geoff and I went on a helicopter flight over Victoria Falls. It gave us spectacular views over the area and through the gorge. When we booked it, we booked for the Falls and the Gorge...but I didn't really know what the gorge flight was, so it was something of a surprise when the pilot swooped down low into the narrow gorge as we flew along between the banks, swooping around corners just above the water. At this point Geoff put down the camera, went a bit pale and stopped looking like he was having fun. He gripped the bar tightly in front of him - white knuckles were seen. He was not inspired by the jump starting the helicopter had needed, and then he said he felt like it was 'shuddering' as we flew along.
    Myf and I had a great time.
    We were picked up by the rest of our group and went off to walk the Falls.
    It was great to experience the Falls after seeing them from the air: the roar of the water, the rain like spray and the rainbows created by the light and water. The ecosystem near the Falls is totally different to anything else near by. The spray creates rain-forest and an interesting green slime that covers everything. As we drove to the Falls we passed another long line of trucks waiting to cross the border into Zimbabwe. This had been clearly visible from the air too.
    Our day finished with dinner and drinks at the bar. Myf likes the Pina Coladas here and I'm fond of the Margaritas. The David Livingstone Hotel is lovely and we have been very privileged to enjoy such luxury.
    Read more