Satellite
  • Day 4 Chobe National Park

    September 25, 2017 in Botswana ⋅ ☀️ 35 °C

    Up at 5.00 am this morning, breakfasted and we managed to be at the Sedudu Gate for entry to Chobe National Park by 6.00. This morning we were travelling in a jeep and a truck.

    A great game drive ensued. The highlight was a pack of Painted Dogs feasting on an impala, surrounded by vultures and a pesky jackal. Plenty of argumentation and chasing away of the jackal, whose perseverance finally paid off when he snuck off with a portion.

    A lioness and her 3 cubs followed as well as waterbuck, giraffe, kudu, fish eagle, etc. By 9.00 it was time to return to Kasane and the campground to relax. A quiet morning followed with an opportunity to wash clothes, swim in the pool and try to use the very weak wifi. Had a drink in the restaurant before we left at 2.45 for our Chobe River cruise.

    We first headed downstream to see the storks roosting in the trees on mid-river islands. Then we swung around and headed upstream with the Namibian Caprivi Strip on our right hand side. We came very close to hippos, crocodiles, elephant, buffalo and waterbuck. A unique experience was that of watching a male hippo roll over in the water with its legs in the air, not once but twice.

    There was a fireball of a sunset as we headed back to the wharf at dusk. Bertus drove us back to camp where Damian had cooked a good, filling meal. After dinner we sat around a campfire toasting marshmallows and then became involved in a challenging wildlife quiz, with Damian and Bert asking the questions.

    We had enjoyed our day but bed was calling and nobody needed persuading that it was bedtime .
    Read more