Satellite
  • Day 8

    Now in Los Angeles

    September 6, 2019 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 24 °C

    This morning Lisi drove us to Solana Beach station and we got the Surfliner back to Union Station. Arrived about 12.45 and first went to the Metro info to get our Tap cards (equivalent to Opal cards)...we got seniors ones (here they only mind about age, not nationality etc) and the cards work for metro, buses etc...and SO cheap..each ride is about 35cents so far...you only tap to enter, no tapping off. Anyway, we were all set, got the metro to near the hotel in downtown LA and were delighted with it!! It is a Hilton, but small (compared with many Hiltons), an older Art Deco building, newly renovated...we love it. Should have taken a photo on arrival, but now it’s all messed up with our stuff so wouldn’t show to full advantage! And also we are in a handy spot close to transport.

    Boiling hot of course, but drier than it was in La Jolla. First we set off to the Grand Central Market for lunch (tacos again) and while there we passed a booth where they take photos of you in funny situations...hard to explain, but tomorrow they are starting properly, and you pay to have a funny photo taken, but today they were having free promos and we sat in a Harley looking sporty!!!

    Then we moved on to our favourite coffee place, Blue Bottle and studied the metro map and decided to go to Long Beach as a new adventure. However when we got to the metro centre found that the blue line was closed for a couple of months so decided to make today our Santa Monica day instead. Good choice as there was a lovely sea breeze, and we had a very pleasant wander. And it also cools off after sunset....we decided to eat at our favourite Mexican restaurant - Mercado- hip and happening modern food, just how we love it. Their special tonight was a watermelon and basil margarita, so refreshing and delicious, and we just had share plates of salads and veges ..yum!

    Now back in our cosy room and all good.
    Read more