Satellite
  • Day 16

    Another fabulous day

    September 14, 2019 in England ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    It was truly another great day! Now sitting in bed, having just been watching the last night of the Proms live, singing along with Rule Britannia, Land of Hope and Glory and Jerusalem and feeling the vibe, especially as we were there in the Royal Albert Hall just a few days ago!!

    But to start at the beginning, we set out this morning and walked from Earls Court to Covent Garden, cutting through Hyde Park. I haven’t been talking about the weather since we arrived here, and that is because it is so good, just so comfortable - not too hot or cold!!! And today was a beautiful cloudless Saturday and Londoners were out and enjoying it. We have so enjoyed the feeling here...it is busy but doesn’t feel uncomfortably crowded, and people are so cheerful and friendly. In Covent Garden there were lots of people of course, many buskers being cheered by crowds. Omnia left us about 1 o’clock as she had arranged to meet friends, and we had tickets for a play - Bitter Wheat - a play with John Malkovich playing a ghastly Harvey Weinstein person, very clever and entertaining in a rather horrible way! Fun to see John Malkovich live though, even in this awful role.

    Then we wandered a bit more till it was time for our dinner at Nopi, an Ottolenghi restaurant just behind Regent Street. We went there last visit to London and love it. We booked the downstairs part, which is less formal, sitting at a large communal table, with the kitchen in view...much nicer than the noisier and less intimate upstairs...and the food as usual is amazing. Ottolenghi’s creative combinations. We had several share dishes - things like grilled octopus with watermelon and coconut! All were delicious.

    So back at the hotel by about 9.30, in time to watch the Proms and write this up. Perfect. Will put photos that show the vibe of the day.
    Read more