Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Travel day, now in Arles

    April 15 in France ⋅ 🌙 18 °C

    This won’t be long, as it’s already 10.15 and am ready to sleep, but will record a great day! We walked from our hotel to the Gare de Lyon which was part of our walk for the morning, plus our venture out for coffee, but got our train which did leave at exactly 12.13! A very comfortable 4 hour ride through the countryside, stopping at unknown towns occasionally, except Avignon which was about 20 mins before Arles.

    Knew the hotel was not too far from the station, but the map did not show that the streets were medieval cobblestone narrow ways, and we have found ourselves in such an old historic place, just lovely…there must be a modern part somewhere, and we are right beside the Rhone which is big here, getting near the mouth, but we haven’t yet walked beside it. We have 2 full days here to explore and relax, and it is a relief really to be out of the big city, and look on everyone as a potential pickpocket….

    This town is also full of Roman ruins, but not just rubble. We knew there was an amphitheatre (we are staying at the hotel de l’amphitheatre) but it is huge! Looks like Verona, or even the coliseum, but we will explore all that tomorrow. Many historic sights, and the river..

    Just back from a beautiful light dinner, Amr already asleep, and soon I will be.
    Read more