Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Breakdowns

    April 11 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 35 °C

    Apologies to Jimmy Cliff and ‘Cool Runnings’ for plagiarising the lyrics of their song, but it immediately sprang to mind as we stepped out first thing this morning.
    “I can see clearly now, the (rain) smoke has gone….”
    Last night’s rain had cleared the skies and we could actually see blue sky with scatted clouds! It put a spring in everyone’s step because the constant heat, haze and brown/grey skies is definitively enervating when there is no let up day after day.
    Today’s sessions proceeded uneventfully.
    I was dealing with Noah’s flood first up. As far as I could ascertain only one of my group of 11 students had previously ever even heard of the story of Noah and the flood, let alone knew anything about it. Loss was teaching Barista skills with the boys.

    Then there was a rare planetary alignment whereby both of us both had a free 1 hour window just before lunch today - so we dashed off down the hill via a 10 minute scooter ride to ‘Tiger Kingdom’.
    We were not looking for a full ‘pat the tiger and tug its tail while being photographed’ experience - we were just curious to have a quick peek. Once again Leah McGeorge had provided us with some local knowledge - no need to pay for full entry - just go to the cafe and order a drink and sit at the far end - and the tigers will be right there. Brilliant.
    Sam had generously offered for us to take his scooter but I felt bad about this so took the somewhat unloved and rarely-ridden BEC Honda 125. No functional battery on this bad boy meant kick starting was the required method but it reassuringly purred into life on the second attempt.
    Down the hill we went, strolled in to Tiger Kingdom, declined their offer to purchase entrance tickets and said we were just wishing to go to the restaurant please.
    “No problem sir, this way please” was the ever-polite response from the young Thai lady.
    We ordered our drinks and had a great view of the tigers putting on a display for the tourists who paid to get inside the cage with them.
    The tigers were obviously very used to having tourists up close and there were no observed casualties in the 20 minutes we were there.
    It was now time to return to be back for lunch. We helmeted up, turned on the ignition and flipped the pedal into position for the kick start. It didn’t start on the first kick, or the second . . .or the 25th.
    A local driver who was waiting for his tourists to return from the touch-a-tiger experience came over and tried to help. Google translate was invoked again . . .he rang a mechanic mate of his for advice…. tools were brought into play . . .we were trying everything but after a while he gave up also.
    Another 20 or so kicks would get it to fire ever so briefly but it just wouldn’t keep running.
    I reluctantly called Sam McGeorge.
    I now fully realised that my insistence on not taking the scooter he had offered was now causing us all an inconvenience - not to mention a vigorous aerobic workout in the heat of the day jumping on that kick start pedal with increasing frustration and intensity.
    The ever affable and unflustered Sam answered and said he’d be down in a few minutes and see what he could do.
    I turned back to the bike, straddled it again with little hope or enthusiasm. Another 10 or 15 kicks - and then of course the engine spluttered to life just as Sam was pulling in to the Tiger Kingdom carpark.
    I was relieved, but also soaked in sweat from the one-legged star jumps I’d been performing for the last 20 minutes.
    The engine would die at slow idle but we were now able to restart it at will, so with Sam holding the throttle open a little to keep it running while I donned my helmet, I unceremoniously dropped it into gear with some revs on it and launched off back to the TLC. Loss drove back with Sam in air conditioned comfort but the 10 minute ride was just sufficient to dry my clothing back to something resembling normal.

    The Honda scooter will now become the vehicle of last choice until it gets a service.

    We just had time to gulp down a little lunch before Sis Ang arrived to facilitate interpreter duties for Somchai’s baptism preparation. Our planned one hour session became a solid 4 hour marathon with no one wanting to give it away until we had gone through ALL the questions. Somchai is a loveable, gentle character and his sincerity is unquestionable. He has come from a background of zero Bible knowledge.
    In my opinion he has sufficient knowledge and desire for baptism but he feels he’s not quite ready yet. His words - “ I am a baby … I don’t know enough….”. We explained the dilemma of the situation to him and I am confident he will choose baptism - but perhaps not this week or next.

    While this was happening, Loss was busy trying to cook a slice for supper tonight. The plan was for Loss’ famous apricot slice with shredded coconut on top - except she couldn’t procure any apricots nor shredded coconut in ‘the land of coconuts. ’
    She’s been assembling the other ingredients for days but the coconut was unprocurable.
    Google suggested using a real coconut and making your own, so that’s what she did. She bought a drinking coconut, Sam chopped it open with the machete , she then scooped out all the flesh and dried it with paper towels.
    Grating was not working as it was too rubbery for this, so it was painstakingly chopped fine with a knife, dried again with more paper towels then laid out on an oven tray.
    This was then placed into the oven - and burned to an unusable state.

    We had leftover rice for supper instead.

    Tonight after dinner a few games were played before everyone headed down to the local soccer field for a bit of a game under the lights. Some other locals were down there training and before long a 5-a-side game was underway. ‘Our’ boys acquitted themselves very well with considerable skills, but they were not really a match for the local team all decked out in real soccer gear (!). We’re now thinking we might send them down there each night because they all came back exhausted and were off to bed by about 8.30pm!
    Meanwhile, Sam has just received a call from Sis Ang with another motor scooter breakdown problem. She left for home just after dinner but called Sam a few minutes later saying ‘her bike is broken’. Sam to the rescue again!
    Sam’s departing words as he rode off were reminiscent of the words of Titus Oates on Robert Falcon Scott’s ill-fated Antarctic expedition - ‘I’m just going outside and may be some time.’
    The TLC is for the moment quiet. Chores are done, students all off in their rooms and Sam is out trying to find an after hours scooter mechanic to get Sis. Ang’s bike running again. Loss has just sat down upstairs to play some tunes on the keyboard. This was pleasant and soothing - except that Ebenezer’s prize cock-fighting roosters are not enjoying it and have started crowing their heads off in protest.

    So all in all, just another typical day at the Thailand Learning Centre :)
    Read more