Satellite
  • Day 5

    Palau Ubin by boat and bike

    February 19, 2020 in Singapore ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    We headed north today to Changi Village, about 1 hour by bus. After lunch in the hawker centre, we caught a bumboat to Palau Ubin, an island off the north coast of Singapore (10 min boat ride, $3 each - there's no timetable, just wait at the ferry terminal until a full boatload is ready, 12 people).

    During World War Two, Palau Ubin was a landing point for Japanese troops, which drew a huge influx of Allied troops to defend Singapore. This was a decoy move by the Japanese who then invaded the west of Singapore with ease.
    Previously home to a granite mine employing 2000 people, Palau Ubin is now one of the few undeveloped areas of Singapore, and home to just 38 residents.

    On arrival in Palau Ubin there are bike hire places lining the main street, so competition is keen. All day bike hire is $8 each. We got our bikes and spent a very pleasant 4 hours riding and walking the hills and dirt tracks of the island, collecting a number of caches on the way. We saw wild boars and monkeys close up, but only spotted otters and hornbill from a distance (much to Oliver's disappointment).

    We caught the bus and MRT back to the city and had dinner on the riverfront at Clarke Quay, followed by a walk around the area, and our first ice cream wafer from a street vendor.
    Read more