Satellite
  • Day 9

    Up to the highlands

    February 23, 2020 in Malaysia ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Today we are headed to the Cameron Highlands, a popular holiday destination for locals and international tourists, as the temperature rarely gets to 30 degrees, and humidity is low.

    On the way out of KL we visited the Blue Mosque: capacity 24,000, claim to fame: the largest religious dome in the world.

    The Cameron Highlands is a collection of small towns which became popular among the British in the 1930's as an escape from the tropical heat, but is now famous for it's tea plantations, strawberry farms and honey production.

    We stopped at an indigenous local's house on the way, a friend of Rosli known as Michael Jackson, for his uncanny resemblance... he invited us into his single room house for a chat, and his brother was happy to demonstrate his prowess with a blowpipe and poison dart!

    We visited a couple of tea plantations (quite touristy, so we didn't stay long), but did a short hike to lookout with spectacular views over the valley.

    After a late lunch we checked into our hotel before a dusk walk... and put a jacket on for the first time this holiday, as the temperature dropped below 20 degrees!
    Read more