Satellit
Vis på kort
  • Dag 79

    Seals, Kekerengu and Marlborough Sound

    26. april, New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    We visited the seal colony at Kaikoura Peninsula and saw hundreds of seals, including lots of pups playing about in the sea and growling (?) at each other. Rosie thought the seals were amazing and loved pointing out all the different ones she could see and what they were doing.
    We headed on to our next campsite, further up the coast. Spotted a crayfish cafe on the coast road so stopped there for some lunch. Had to try the crayfish of course! And some fish and chips. All delicious but I reckon our lobster at home is sweeter and even tastier!
    Just as we went to get back in the camper from the cafe, an old fashioned steam train went past. Rosie was very excited and waved at everyone in the carriages. She was so pleased when the driver tooted the horn.
    Kekerengu was a cool campsite, right next to the beach, with a nice cafe at the top of the hill. There were lots of driftwood dens on the beach. Matt set up his rod and him and Rosie played on the beach whilst Poppy and I went for a walk.
    Matt nearly missed dinner as he spent about half an hour reeling in a huge fish, which got off the line at the last minute. At the same beach he also caught a rig shark and an octopus! Luckily both were released and were fine.
    We had a chilled morning there on the beach, playing and doing some errands before heading off to Momorangi Bay Campsite - the first place we stayed when we arrived on the south island. Passed many vineyards on the way but didn't stop for tours or tastings. I think we were spoilt by the beautiful old vineyards in Lanzarote!
    Momorangi Bay and Marlborough Sound was as beautiful as we remembered. The bay is so sheltered and the water so calm there.
    Rosie rode her bike to the park (she's so fast on it now!) and tried to make friends with some older kids. It's interesting trying to teach a 3 year old how to start a conversation with strangers. Makes me realise that I find it hard too!
    That evening Matt did some more fishing and caught two skates, a starfish and a spiny dogfish! We're not having much luck catching dinner but it's interesting to see what's in the sea!
    Læs mere