Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Amalfi Coast

    June 26, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Today was the big day, and the main reason we decided to stay in Salerno. Well, that as well as the fact that we had heard some bad things about Naples. But we wanted to spend some time along the Amalfi Coast and decided on Positano and Amalfi as the areas to do so. We went via ferry because we thought it would give the best views of the coastline while also being quick and relatively cheap. I think we made the right decision as we got to see all along the Amalfi Coast and marvel in the way they built cities on the edge of steep hills right next to the coast. Given the age of some of these cities, it makes you wonder whether it would have been worth it all. But after spending some time in the towns, it make sperfect sense why you'd want to live there. I would have loved to get more photos as we travelled along the coast but there was a swarm of people lining up for the photos off the side of the boat, and I was slack to deal with that, so we just soaked up the views from inside the boat.

    We started at Positano, and we simply jumped in the water, had a few drinks, and wandered around the small town. To avoid the stairs and blistering heat, we mostly stuck to the walks along the coastline. This was a really cool experience as we came across a few small beaches dotted along the coast before we eventually hit a dead end. We headed back for a drink and one final dip before heading back to the ferry. We did detour through some small shops, but we are both limited by bag space as well as money, so once again, we didn't buy anything.

    We then ferried towards Amalfi and had a pretty similar strategy to that of Positano. We went for a quick jump in the water and then began to wander around the town. We had heard of a really good rock jump in the town and so was looking all over for somewhere that matched the description. It was only on the way back that we went by a little jetty where a company was running a boat hiring stall. Despite them not speaking any English, we gestured until they knew what we were talking about. The rock right by the dock was a notorious rock jumping spot. He showed us videos of people doing the jump, and so Jack and I geared up to do it. After Jack went, a young worker must have gotten excited as we grabbed his boardies and joined us for his second jump. This kid was crazy. It was probably a 10-15m jump, and he was front flipping and doing crazy shit. It was then my turn, and although I was shitting myself, I didn't give myself time to overthink it. I scaled down the rocks and prepared for the jump, I had done my best not to look down until this point, and it was scary to see the height from that perspective. Nonetheless, I couldn't back out now and threw myself off. It felt like you would free-fall for ages, but the rush was awesome, and it ended up being the highlight of the day. After that, we figured it was time a well-earned drink. After a few spritz and some beers, we were ready to jump on the ferry back to Salerno. Once we got back, we grabbed a feed and headed for bed. The place we chose to eat wasn't particularly fancy, but we pizzas were awesome. After that, we then parked up in our beds and got ready for bed.
    Read more