Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    2023 Rollercoaster

    December 31, 2023 in Czech Republic ⋅ ☁️ 6 °C

    Although it was New Year Eve, there wasn`t a lot planned for today. This is mostly because we had to travel from Bratislava to Prague. Despite this, it didn`t take too long, and we arrived around 3pm. As such, we went around town and saw some of the main square as well as the christmas markets that are quite famous in the city. Although it is no longer christmas, we are lucky to be able to experience them in a couple more cities as most stop around January 6th. I knew very quickly that Prague was going to be one of the most beautiful cities i had ever seen. The christmas lights, ancient towers, unique streets, and lively atmosphere were so cool and fun to experience. The time of year likely helped considerably to make the atmosphere. Everyone was in the spirits of the holidays. We started by going through the main town square with the astronomical clock that is the most well-known attraction in Prague. This was cool to see but did not justify the crowds. We then wandered the christmas markets and cathedrals, explored the charles bridge, and saw the castle from across the river before heading home. We arrived home around 10:30pm for some drinks but were sure to head out just before midnight to witness the fireworks. We were not sure what to expect given that the city of Prague has not done their own fireworks since 2019 and have technically banned them. I say technically because they allow fireworks to be set off between 6 pm on the 31st of December and 6 am on 1st January. Im not sure how this works for purchasing them, but this didn't dampen the extravegent event. Although there was no mass display of fireworks in a central location, it was somehow more breathtaking to stand along the river and watch the city reach into their own pocket and set off thousands and thousands of dollars into the air, all across the sky. Everywhere you looked, there was fireworks going off, and it only made it more spectacular. The city may have been too cheap to spend the money, but clearly, the people saw the importance and excitement in the display. We arrived late to the river (apparently) at about 11:55pm, and the fireworks had already been in full effect for a while. This was only more impressive given that they did not stop until about 1am, though, amittedly, did dwindle out at about 12:20am. Mum and I stood in complete amazement for nearly 30 minutes, watching the whole city erupt in every direction. like I said, the fact that the community reached into their own pocket to organise such an incredible display only made the spectacle more impressive and fulfilling. At this point, though, it was time to go home and go to bed. It was a great place and way to finish off the year 2023.

    In hindsight, 2023 has been quite crazy. Not only have I been able to see a lot of Europe, Africa, bits and pieces of the middle East and Asia, but I have also been able to see more of Australia than i had previously. I saw Magnetic Island and Townsville, Arilie Beach, and the whitsundays, Mackay, as well as Cairns and Port Douglas. To top it off, I saw my amazing sister and my new brother, Andrew, get married in a beautiful ceremony that i enjoyed endlessly. The unfortunates of the year put a dampener in what was one of the best years of my life. Namely, the main person missing from the wedding ceremony, Nanny. Although incredibly happy to have been able to spend her 100th birthday with her, her passing and empty seat at Melissas wedding was an incredibly sad experience. She would have been very proud and happy to have seen that day, but I know she was proud to know it happened. Additionally, attending the funeral of my best friends mother, Trish, taken far too young, only added to the extreme pain felt during the first few months of year. Unfortunately, this wasn`t the end of the pain felt during the year, as at the very end, just as things had been looking up for 2023, we had another family member pass. The reason i extended my leave to May, Eileen, and her 100th birthday, sadly, didn`t make it and passed away on the 29th November 2023. I was excited to see her for the second, and the last time, yet, it was not to be. A grim end to the year, that somewhat summarises 2023. A year of adventure and making friends and family members only matched with the simultaneous loss of loved ones.
    Read more