Satellite
  • Day 18

    Jamestown

    March 19, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    Jamestown, birth place of the Aussie icon, R M Williams and home to the big battery.
    The agricultural based town is siuated 3 hours from Adelaide. The town is set amongst gums, often laiden with noisy cockatoos.There are many typical old stone buildings.We visited the interpretive display in honour of R M Williams. Born in Jamestown 24 th May 1908, living with his family on a nearby farm till the family moved to 5 Percy St Prospect when he was 12. This address was where he established himself as the mecca for bushman.
    A mosaic themed town name greets you in the main street. It displays sheep with gumboots on. The china pieces making the boots are donated heirloom pieces from locals, the boots a tribute to R M. and his famous boots and saying " step up boots and all "
    We visited the nearby Bundaleer forest, established in 1875. It was known as " the birth place of Australian forestry " being the first plantation in Australia where a diversity of exotic and native timbers were planted in a bid to find the most suitable plantation tree for the area.
    Jamestown has recently gained attention by the renewable energy source, the Hornsdale wind turbines and storage battery system. Whilst the energy storage area is off limits , situated in a paddock approx 1 km from the road, we could park near some of the many turbines and see sheep happily graze nearby.
    After our Jamestown stop it was time to pack up and head home, planning our next adventure on the way.
    Read more