Satellite
  • Day 3

    Rome Day 2

    July 9, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Today we did a combined tour covering the Colosseum, Roman Forum & Palatine Hill in the morning, after lunch, Vatican Museumes, SistineChapel and St Peter's Basilica. The day was very hot with lots of walking and lots of crowds, peak tourist season in mid summer 🌞
    Our morning guide was fantastic, full of knowledge and passion, the afternoon guide, whilst still good was tired and lacked luster. The Palatine Hill is the area Rome was founded. The Colosseum is a symbol of Rome to the world. The amphitheatre created to entertain ancient Roman citizens with bloody shows of gladiators, animals and at times cruelty. We walked along the original path of ancient Rome along the Via Sacra and viewed the Temple of Vesra, Antonio and Faustina, the ancient Basilica Julia and Aemilia, a vision of Rome glorious past.
    The Vatican Museums are within Vatican City and comprise several exhibitions housed within several museum galleries and hold important world art collections, exquisite tapestries, geographical maps, statues and other works. The breathtaking Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel ceiling, began to be painted by the young Michelangelo's May 1508 and was completed 1512 depecting stories from the book of Genesis.
    The greatest church in Christendom is St. Peter's Basilica with Michelangelo's mighty dome an iconic Roman landmark and it is within this Church that the tomb of St Peter can be found.
    Read more