Satellite
  • Day 17

    Ireland, Day 3

    July 23, 2019 in Northern Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Today we headed to the Northern most aspect of Ireland, and thanks to the clear weather were able to see some of the islands of Scotland. At the northern most aspect, the Causeway Coast, there was a small footbridge between two of the landform which no doubt would be somewhat scary on a windy day.
    We then visited The Giant's Causeway, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.Years ago volcanic activity created these steplike hexagonal columns. The Giant's Causeway has long been associated with Irish mythology with the story of Fionn the giant. .
    We then went to the city of Derry passing once again through Ireland's 50 shades of green. Lush green fields, stone or hedge fencing, fat healthy cattle and numbers of content sheep, picture perfect.
    We travelled to Donegal, the ancient town founded by Danish Vikings, and home of the O'Donnell Clan. We drove along Donegal Bay with small fishing ports and beaches. A stop at the town of Drumcliff gave us a chance to see not only the grave site of the famous Irish poet W B Yates but also share time with Angela's kinfolk who are also buried there. A table top mountain provides a glorious backdrop to the cemetery. Our stop for the night was Sligo.
    Read more