Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Day 5: Petoskey

    July 4, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 72 °F

    This morning was early. We had a 10k. Of course Gary came in second. And me? Well...I finished! ☺️ From there we went to Avalanche to bike while the parade went through town. It was really tricky getting to the trail because that was where they were getting everything ready for the parade. But we had the whole trail to ourselves!! It was hard climbing those hills after running, but my legs finally got with the program!

    We really like Avalanche and we're glad that we got to do it! They were predicting rain all day today. It rained this morning at the start of the run, but it turned out to be a real nice day. 80s, sunny, and HUMID!

    Boyne has so much to do on the 4th! They have a "market". That was our next stop. We walked around there for a long time, got a bunch of stuff (foods and seasonings), and got some lunch (hot dogs and smoothies).

    Boyne also does a Duck Race. A bunch of rubber duckies launched up the river. They sold tickets and the winners got $500! We couldn't afford the tickets, but it was fun watching the ducks come down!

    Then they had a Raft Race. The rules were you had to make your raft and it couldn't be just a kayak or canoe or some other kind of boat. But it has turned into a water gun fight with the boaters too! It was great! This year's winner made their "raft" out of a door!! And just watching, we still got soaked from the cross fire! Next year, bring water cannons!! But honestly, the water felt good!!

    That was the last thing until their fireworks, so we came back to get cleaned up. I packed up a bunch of stuff. There is going to be rain tonight for sure. We're hoping to get the fireworks in before it hits!!

    Off to dinner. There is a bike path at the end of the campgrounds that leads to Petoskey Brewing. So we headed there, but they were closing because it was 4th of July! Nothing in Petoskey was open because their parade was going at 6 pm. The whole town shuts down for that. Dinner...we ended up getting McDonald's and bringing it back to the campground. That ended up being a great dinner!!

    Well, I hope the fireworks get to go!
    Read more