Satellite
  • Day 144

    Punakaiki to Hokitika

    February 6, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌙 17 °C

    Today was forecast rain, but fortunately it held off for at least some of the day so that we could enjoy some of the scenery around us on route to Hokitika further south. The clouds hindered some of the view, but during our detour route to the viaduct at Arthur's Pass it actually added quite a nice, mysterious effect to the lush mountains either side if the valley. It was a long detour to take to see the viaduct and unfortunately the rain came down harder once we reached the lookout, typical! We did get a couple of snaps though and we also got to meet one of the Kea birds that are native here. They were present at each of the two lookouts and we're funny to watch, standing in people's cars and scavenging low to the floor to find food. They just look like giant fat parrots really and we're highly amusing to watch.
    After heading my back the way we came and seeing again the waterfalls and creeks that ran under or beside the road, we eventually arrived in Hokitika. I should mention this road also contained a strange row of toilets on display by the roadside, another strange NZ display. We also found out that in New Zealand they build roundabouts with railtracks running through them. No barriers, just make sure you look...very odd! We also came across one of the many one way bridges here that actually has a train track running the length of it, on the same but you drive on. Difficult too, to see what is coming so not sure what you would do if met by a train half way down :/

    Once in Hokitika we decides as it was raining to go to the Kiwi centre. Here we got to feed 100 year old eels (they are so squishy and slimy!) and then got to see two Kiwis that they house here. The room is dark as they are night foragers but the lighting meant we could see them. They were so much bugger than I had expected and their beaks are amazing. So long and thin and it was great to watch them forage in the ground and logs. They walk with their beaks down and look like they are always about to topple over too. Finally we can say we have seen a Kiwi!! Hopefully we might even hear one tonight.

    Now for a lovely night of rain....movie time me thinks! Oh and we are now pretty sure Rob has broken his big toe by walking the coast walk in flip flops. It is a lovely mix of colours :/ oops!
    Read more