Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 168

    Oktoberfest, Fredricksburg, TX

    October 5, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 84 °F

    We arrived in Fredricksburg, TX, October 1, got set up in our new spot in Fredricksburg RV Park (we’ll be here for the whole month),. We decided on this spot because Les Fenter and Tim Stanley concocted a very informal mini-reunion of those who graduated from Burges High School, El Paso, TX any year from ’62-’67.

    We ended up with some 20 so who showed up and we all seemed to have had a good time. We combined our gathering with Oktoberfest which is a BIG DEAL in this town that was the center of German immigration starting in 1846. https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles…

    They really do Oktoberfest big here. Lots of German peasant dresses and generations of handed-down lederhosen, and beer, LOTS and LOTS OF BEER! Not to mention wonderful weinerschnitzel, Jägerschnitzel, sauerbraten, bratwurst, http://www.visitfredericksburgtx.com/events/38t…

    Fredricksburg, and Central Texas in general, has become a hot bed of wineries. There are 17 on a small stretch of US 290 between Fredricksburg and Johnson City. Sunday, we took a little winery tour with another couple. Earl Bean and I both graduated from Burges HS in 1963 and he and his wife, Annette, and Herb and I had a really lovely time. We had wine tasting of some very nice wines and we saw some gorgeous scenery! I’ve never been to Europe, and it’s likely I never will unless Herb wins the lottery, but the scenery looked like I imagine Tuscany must.
    My chosen blog site gives me pretty must unlimited space for writing, but only 10 pictures, I have a series of posts with just pictures. Stay tuned!
    Read more