Satellite
  • Day 285

    Joshua Tree National Park, Jan 30, 2019

    January 30, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 59 °F

    January 30, Joshua Tree Nat’l Park
     
    As soon as the government shut down ended, we planned a trip to Joshua Tree National Park. Before going, I wasn’t even sure what a Joshua tree was! Turns out it is a tree-like yucca plant with distinctive “trunk” and “leaves” and grows mostly in the Mojave and AZ/NV deserts. 

    The name Joshua tree is commonly said to have been given by a group of Mormon settlers crossing the Mojave Desert in the mid-19th century: The tree's role in guiding them through the desert combined with its unique shape reminded them of a biblical story in which Joshua keeps his hands reached out for an extended period of time in order to guide the Israelites in their conquest of Canaan.
     
    I find it interesting that they are really fast growers: “Joshua trees are fast growers for the desert; new seedlings may grow at an average rate of 7.6 cm (3.0 in) per year in their first ten years, then only about 3.8 cm (1.5 in) per year,” (Wikipedia).

    We got there late and didn’t have time to do any hiking. We did get to a cool overlook where you can actually see the San Andreas Fault. It shows as a raised berm running South. Their explanation was that as the two plate rub together, it raises the surface sand and rocks.
     
    I find desert landscapes beautiful—after all, I grew up in the desert and deserts ringed by mountains soaring up to 12,000+, Mt. San Jacinto, or 14,000+, Mt San Gorgonio, are particularly beautiful!
    Read more