Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Reykjavik - Day 6 - The Blue Lagoon

    November 8, 2022 in Iceland ⋅ ☁️ 41 °F

    In the year 1226, six volcanic craters exploded at the same time. The explosions caused major damage to the area in the form of the astonishing lava field, Illahraun, that we continue to admire today. Part of the lava terrain is called Svartsengi (i.e. The Black Meadow), and since the year 1976, an active power station Svartsengi Geothermal Power has been located there.

    The Blue Lagoon’s unique minerals were discovered as the power station drilled into the area. As they began to drill, a thick, almost neon-blue water appeared. Unfortunately, this water wasn’t great for the power station since it coated the engines and stopped them from running entirely.

    As a result, the workers dumped this trouble-making water onto the lava field and moved to a safer area to pump water. Meanwhile, the silica-rich water quickly coated the lava rocks, sealing in the water, and creating the lagoon that we now know as the Blue Lagoon.

    The Blue Lagoon tourism can thank an employee of the power plant for it’s popularity. Valur Margeirsson asked if he could swim in the geothermal pool created by Svartsengi´s operations. He suffered from psoriasis and did not want to swim in a public pool. The soothing water healed his skin. When other psoriasis sufferers tried it, their condition also improved greatly. Today the Blue Lagoon Clinic is an internationally recognized psoriasis treatment facility.

    Each visitor gets a free clay mask to refresh the skin. A bit gimmicky, but our skin did feel softer afterward. We were there after dark so the water has a milky white glow rather than the beautiful blue you see in the cover photo which was taken just as we arrived.

    The sunset photo was taken on our ride to the blue lagoon.
    Read more