Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Dijon

    September 12, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    We spent the day in Dijon, the capital of Burgundy - famous for wine, mustard, gingerbread and of course, boeuf bourguignon which we had for lunch in a little alleyway restaurant (it was the best I’ve ever tasted). A very rich and powerful duchy in 1500 - 1600 rivalling the King, there are numerous impressive buildings. The Notre Dame cathedral here boasts an impressive facade lined with gargoyles - apparently one fell off in the Middle Ages crushing to death a wealthy merchant on his wedding day! Hence they were removed and not reinstated until centuries later. On the side wall someone carved a small owl which has become the good luck symbol of Dijon - it’s face is rubbed off now by people hoping for some of the luck! So there is trail to follow called the Owl trail to see the important sights in the old centre marked by bronze owl markers on the pavements - very quaint. Also note the beautiful mosaic tile roofs on the cathedrals and the exquisite carved doors.
    We returned to our apartment in our quiet village on the grounds of Chateau Chailly with bottles of Chablis (Chardonnay) and Burgundy (Pinot noir - not the wish washy stuff we have but a robust Hunter Valley type red) and far too much local fromage (including the specialty of the region - washed rind soft cheese washed in local Kir alcohol - the smelly socks variety - superbe!).
    Not sure where we are off to today - a road trip through the French Comte countryside most likely.
    Read more