Satellite
  • Day 24

    Gourdon and waterfalls

    September 19, 2017 in France ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    We found ourselves on the long and winding road to Gourdon today, which is more up in the hills than le Bar-sur-Loup. 'Twas a wee bit hazy looking out to the sea, but pretty spectacular views nevertheless. There were lots of lovely little artisanal shops in Gourdon, and similar to many of the other places we have visited recently, the shops themselves are irregular inside, with stone walls, uneven floors, low ceilings and tiny little off-shoot rooms.

    The kids have been enchanted by the various lolly shops we have come across in these places so today I relented and allowed them to buy a "strawberry" which was one big ball of tasty-looking sugar concoction!

    After leaving Gourdon, we took the roundabout route to Vence, which took us further up into the gorge, did a switchback to come down the other side, stopping at the waterfalls. In a "this would never happen in Australia" type of arrangement, a business had set up shop at the side of the road, built a stone house and restaurant, put a turnstile in which cost €1 per person to go through the turnstile to look at a natural phenomena. We obliged. There was no evidence of this being a state-run enterprise, so I can only assume that it is perfectly OK to hijack local beauty for your own profit. Similar to many beaches here I guess? It was spectacular, of course.
    Read more