Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Plaza Mayor

    September 13, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 81 °F

    》Views from our room & the Plaza

    》Madrid’s Plaza Mayor

    A symbol of the city and a must-see! This enormous esplanade in the city centre was begun in the 17th century by King Philip III, whose bronze equestrian statue stands in the square. Officially opened in 1620, it is rectangular in shape and lined with pillars and arches.

    Over the years it has been the setting for many public events, from bullfights, processions, fiestas and theatrical productions to trials of the Inquisition and even executions. The arcades are home to many traditional shops and a plethora of bars and restaurants. Some of the most notable buildings on the square are the Casa de la Panadería, with a frescoed façade, and the. Casa de la Panadería: The plaza’s most striking building is the Casa de la Panadería and was the first to be established, in 1590. It was initially the most important bakery in Madrid. Its remarkable façade was decorated by Carlos Franco.

    》Equestrian statue of Philip III

    This sculpture was designed in 1616 by Juan de Bolonia and Pietro Tacca. It was given as a present by the Duke of Florence to the King of Spain. Until the mid-nineteenth century, the statue was kept in the Casa de Campo (Madrid’s largest park).
    Read more