Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Tuk-Tuk Tour of Madrid

    September 14, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 79 °F

    》Cathedral Church of the Armed Forces

    The church was originally part of the former Bernardine monastery of Madrid, founded in 1615 by Cristóbal de Sandoval y Rojas, Duke of Uceda. The church was designed in the shape of a Latin cross by the architect Juan Gómez de Mora in 1615, but construction began in 1671, half a century after the foundation of the monastery, due to the misfortune of the favourite, and was not completed until 1744. The convent was demolished in 1972. The church was therefore purchased by the Spanish Ministry of Defence around 1980 to house the Military Ordinariate in Spain.

    》Calle de Hortaleza

    The Calle de Hortaleza is a street in central Madrid, Spain. It is arguably the main thoroughfare passing through Chueca, the epicenter of the LGBT community in the city

    》Church of San José

    Notable example of Madrid Baroque style, the temple can be visited where Sol / Gran Vía meet. The Church of San José is a church located on the Calle de Alcalá. It was declared Bien de Interés Cultural in 1995. 

    》Monument to Columbus in Plaza De Colon

    The original idea to create a national monument to commemorate 
    Christopher Columbus was promoted by Isabella II in 1864, yet the 1868 Glorious Revolution aborted the project. Later in time, the idea was resumed as the project could serve as commemoration of the upcoming marriage between Alfonso XII and María de las Mercedes. A public contest for the project took place in 1877, and the winner was Arturo Mélida. Following the scrapping of an earlier draft, the 17-metre high basement was built from 1881 to 1885. It was intended to be inaugurated on 4 January 1886, yet the death of the monarch aborted the event.

    》Fuente de Neptuno (Neptune Fountain)

    It lies on the centre of the Plaza de Cánovas del Castillo [es], a roundabout in the Paseo del Prado. The sculptural group in its centre represents Neptune, a Roman water deity.

    The fountain is the site where the Atlético Madrid's fans celebrate the team's trophies.

    》The Westin Palace Madrid

    Commissioned by King Alfonso XIII in 1912, the restored, 467 room Westin Palace Madrid is set near the Prado, historic monuments and some of the best tapas restaurants in town.
    Read more