Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Walking Toledo

    September 15, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 79 °F

    》A romantic garden with a large bust of Don Quixote as its focal point belong to the School of Fine Arts.

    》Puerta del Cambrón

    The Cambron Gate, is a magnificent gate located in the west sector of Toledo. The gate is also called the "Gate of the Jews" or the "Gate of Saint Leocadia." The gate has been speculated to have taken its name, del Cambrón, from the growth of a thorn bush or plant (known in Spanish as cambroneras) at the top of the ruins of one of the towers before the last reconstruction of the gate in 1576.

    It is built over the remains of a Visigoth gate, and the current structure is in the Renaissance style with a square floor plan. On the interior façade there is a statue of Santa Leocadia attributed to Berruguete. It has two pairs of towers and two arches, which add to its grandeur and magnificence. This is the only gate open to motor traffic.

    The gate underwent two renovations, one in the early 1570s and the other in 1576. During these renovations, Hernán González, Diego de Velasco, and Juan Bautista Monegro sculpted a figure of Saint Leocadia in the gate. Saint Leocadia is the patron saint of Toledo, and her presence adds to the religious significance of the gate.

    The Cambron Gate is a remarkable example of the city's defensive architecture. Despite the damage caused during the Spanish Civil War, the gate has been carefully restored and preserved. The gate stands as a testament to the city's enduring legacy and the many civilizations that have left their mark on its walls.
    Read more